Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mangia!

I spent all day today in my kitchen. It seems that's the realistic amount of time it takes to feed oneself proper meals.

You see, I went to visit the Good Doc yesterday to get the results of my blood work. Always be wary if they call you and say, "Your test results are back. He'd like you to make an appointment to come in an go over them."

Gulp.

So off I went yesterday only to find that apparently I am deficient in insulin. My first thought is diabetes (my father is diabetic and I'm thinking it's only a matter of time) but according to the Good Doc what I have is the opposite of diabetes.

I left with a list as long as my arm of supplements I'm supposed to take along with strict instructions to avoid proceeded foods and refined carbs like sugar and white flour and replace them with whole-food, unrefined carbs. Sounds swell.

So I went to SweetBay and bought brownies to make myself feel better.

Seriously.

In concession though, I realize I eat a pathetic diet. Not that I eat bad foods, I just don't eat. It's hard with three rugrats--sometimes if I eat a slice of turkey while chopping some in a million little pieces for Lila, that's my lunch. But in my defense though when I DO eat, I do sup on whole wheat pasta, lunch on whole wheat bread, and breakfast on Khashi cereal or the whole wheat pancakes that Chey Rey makes every Sunday. So I feel unfairly labeled as a carb loader here.

For lunch today I made a most delicious tuna salad. Mine is a version of my sister's that includes minimal amounts of mayo, more heart-healthy olive oil, shredded carrots, onions, lemon and sometimes egg whites for added protein. I eat it with Wasa crackers topped with a vine ripe tomato and it hits the spot. Quite yummy. But takes T-I-M-E. And time is NOT on my side, no matter what the Rolling Stones say.



And for dinner, I've got an Asian Flank Steak and Noodles recipe that involves whole wheat angel hair pasta and broiling. The meat marinated all day. Not only was it damn tasy, but here I have another healthy, no refined sugar meal. For those counting that's TWO in one day. (Never mind the fact that I ate another brownie throughout the course of the day. Baby steps, my friends.)



In all seriousness, I was in the kitchen all day. To shred, slice, dice, prep, marinade, stir, clean, load the dishwasher, unload, dispose of the loaded trash bags, feed my kids their breakfast and lunch in between, referee the boys' fights, etc. etc. ad nauseum and there went my day. This is not sustainable.

But neither is a life without insulin I suppose.

3 comments:

troy skeen said...

What do I need to do to get Chey Rey to start serving you Doctor Grandma's Pancakes? It's sooo yumm w/no added sugar! Check em' out at www.doctorgrandmas.com if interested. BTW...their Delight is really awesome too!

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://wurudefyma.maddsites.com/irywywe.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

http://theblogmoney.com