Thursday, July 23, 2009

Say Hello to My Little Friend

Friendship is crucial. A good friend is trustworthy, reliable, and there to help you when you need it most.

I have a new friend in my life. Without further ado, allow me to introduce you to her.




She is is joining our family along with her cousins New Refrigerator, New Microwave and New Range, and is taking the place of another longtime companion, Ol' Gertrude (Gerty) the GE, who alas was too old and ugly to remain in my kitchen. Let this be a lesson to my friends--if you let yourself get haggard and unkempt there's a good chance I will toss you to the curb, too.

If there was an Olympic Competition is dishwasher loading, I feel pretty confident that I could win it. It pains me to admit that I find great fun in unloading what my husband or mother had previously loaded and deemed full, and rearranging it in such a fashion that I could fit another meal's worth of dishes. Whenever I hear, "this needs to be run" I come running myself, up for the challenge. I've never met a pile of dishes I couldn't squeeze into that old girl. What can I say? It is my gift.

The new, shiny dishwasher and I are currently on a learning curve. It is an odd sensation to be so unfamiliar with THE most space saving and effective way to load. It's taking me longer. That sucks.

It's funny, but it really is like we are getting to know each other. But she eagerly went a'scrubbing last night, quiet as a mouse compared to Ol' Gerty, who wasn't really even all that loud to begin.

So RIP Gerty. You lived a good long life, and the things you have done for me will never be forgotten!

P.S. For those of you who think I'm nuts for calling a kitchen appliance my friend, give it a little more thought. Anyone who washes your dishes should be considered a friend!

No comments: