Friday, December 4, 2009

Book Nook - The Help

So I have been reading a lot. And by a lot, I mean I have been reading in lieu of doing other things, like laundry, or vacuuming, or dishes, or blogging (as you may or may not have noticed).

There, I said it.

It is because of this that I decided to share some of my readings in a sort of book review. I won't go over each one I read, because that would scare you all and out me for the house neglecting book worm that I am. But I'll do the best of my reads, and perhaps the worst.

Starting with The Help.



I can't recall where I got the desire to read this book. But I might have something to do with the fact that there are stacks and stacks of copies for sale at Costco, and they are right next to the stacks and stacks of copies of Dan Brown's new book for sale, so one could safely assume it had best seller status.


THEN, when I went to put it on my library request list, I was getting in line behind something like 80 other people. (Now the wait list is well over 200, and I believe I waited about 4-5 weeks when I started off 80th in line.) But I really hate buying books unless it's one I really, really love and have to own, because reading something once and having it sit on my shelf for a lifetime seems dumb. I might as well stick a stack of money on my shelf to stare at me like the money with the eyes in those Geico commercials. There's a perfectly good library, after all. And usually you don't have to get in line behind 200 other people for a book.

But I digress.

My number was up last weekend and I darted right over to pick up the book.

I'll admit, it was a rough start. The book is written in the voice of three women, the beginning of which being an African American maid living in 1960s Mississippi. I found it very hard to get used to reading things written in such a different vernacular (it was like reading Shakespeare--English, but not). That was really hard for me--I have a Bachelor's degree in English and perfect grammar is ingrained in me. But I noticed at the end of it I wasn't even aware anymore, and it became as easy as reading perfectly written text.

Once I got past the grammar I was engrossed. It was... a page turner. In a very unexpected, surprising way, it was a page turner. I couldn't wait to turn the next page to see what was going to happen to these amazing and courageous women. I found myself hating who they hated and loving who they loved and before I knew it I felt like I was there.

I like to think of we modern, 21st, women's lib ladies as strong, but we've got nothin' on these three, that's for sure. I'd definitely say read it, otherwise soon enough everyone you know will have read it and you'll be left in the literary dust.

My next commentary will be on The Shack. I am still undecided as to whether that will be a rant or a rave. I had to stop midway through (which I never, ever, ever do) because the book was about to drive me mad. I just can't tell if I was going mad in a good way or mad in a bad way.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Here's a new suggestion... 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Just finished it last night and, while it was kind of depressing and sad, I really thought it was a good one to read.