Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pain to end all pain

I workout a lot. We're talking 5 days a week, sometimes six. I run, I spin, I lift free weights, I use weight machines, and yes, I yoga. I am fit.

But I met my match.

Tuesday, I took a Body Attack class. This is the kind of class I typically stay far, far away from because it's the kind of class where you have to be coordinated and jump around like a jelly bean until your sweaty, dizzy and perhaps about to vomit. Admittedly, it was a really great cardio workout. I made it through the class well enough, and even did a yoga class afterwards.

And then, the pain began.

At first, I thought I had pulled a calf muscle in my left calf. The pain began very shortly after I left the gym. Soon it spread to my other calf and I realized it wasn't a pulled muscle but muscle soreness. Rats.

When I do a new class, I expect to feel soreness to some degree or another. After all, using your muscles in a different way is bound to make you sore, even if you work out on a regular basis. But this? This I did not expect.

Tuesday night in my sleep, I was very aware of my calf pain. Wednesday morning when I attempted to get out of bed, the pain was so bad it nearly brought me to my knees. Obviously I took the day off from the gym, and spent the day shuffling around, barely able to put one foot in front of the other.

I was overly optimistic that I would be better today. Knowing full well and right that nine times out of ten you're more sore on Day 2 than Day 1, I was still hoping that today I would be recovered and be able to hit the gym again.

Not.

I'm a just as bad as yesterday. And it's miserable!

Seriously, I was not even this sore the day after the half marathon.

I discovered, sheerly by accident I assure you, that I can crawl faster than I can walk. If that isn't pathetic then I don't know what is.

The moral of the story is, never overestimate yourself, and never underestimate the reason the word "Attack" is in the name of the class. Cause I most certainly feel like something's attacked me.

1 comment:

Playing Sublimely said...

Ummmmm...I love you and am jealous of you all at the same time. You working out 6 days a week totally shames me and I am oh so jeolous, but I love you because body attack kills you...I too have been brought close to death by body attack...I stick to pump and step ;)! Loved hearing from you today!