Saturday, June 6, 2009

But Not the Hippopotamus

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to take more video of the kids. Well, you know how resolutions go... they usually don't. Part of my problem is there sheer storage space required for my GBs of digital video. Between that and the fact that each file that comes off of my 12MP DSLR is around 5MB, I am getting dangerously close to crashing my hard drive. A solution is on the horizon, it's just that I have a rather lengthy to do list, as one might imagine!

But I digress. The point of this post is that I have actually produced a video to share.

Hippopotamuses seem to be a pretty frequent theme of Sandra Boynton's books. Maybe she has a weight problem and can relate to the portly creature. Maybe it's that "hippopotamus" is such a swell little name. Who knows. But of all her books, the ones that star Hippos are hands down favorites around here. Mason's favorite book (maybe even of all time) is a little diddy called "But Not the Hippopotamus."

Mason decided to put on a little show for us. He did require audience participation, but it was fun all the same.



Next up I'll try to record him reading "Hippos Go Berserk" which is another literary gem. : )

3 comments:

BrianG said...

Is Mason "reading" or telling the story from memory? If he is reading, we really have to catch up.

Ashley said...

No, this story is from memory. He can read a little though--he recognizes the names of all the kids in his class, he knows little words like cat, book, in, out. He loves letters. I owe it all to "Bob the Builder ABCs" a.k.a. The Leap Frog Word Factory DVD. It challenges the notion that TV is bad for kids. LOL

Kathleen said...

Maricela is sitting next to me and when I started the video she said, "What (th)at boy doing?" I said, "He's reading you a book." She said, "Oooooooh. Tank you, boy." :) How old is Mason? I forget....